Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Explaining the past to a young cousin

It just occurred to me that I'll have to explain some things to my young cousins someday.

Teruo: Ryan, you were an astronomer once, right?
Me: Sort of. I was training to be one. But I stopped before I became a professional.
Teruo: Oh. (pauses) Can I ask you a question?
Me: Sure thing.
Teruo: (pauses) Why did it take so long to send a submersible to Europa to look for life?
Me: (long pause) Do you remember something called a Kardashian?
Teruo: No.
Me: How about "The Jersey Shore"?
Teruo: No.
Me: How about Twilight?
Teruo: No!
Me: Well, between the First and Second Cold Wars, America spent roughly the amount of money and time and energy on these three things that it would have taken for such a mission.
Teruo: Were these important projects?
Me: (pause, thinking) They were to some, Teruo. They were to some.

No comments: