Sunday, March 21, 2010

NYTimes -- Well:Talk Deeply, Be Happy?

NYTimes -- Well:Talk Deeply, Be Happy?

Three notes does not make a dies mirabilis, but I couldn't resist posting a link to a NYTimes article on the value of deep conversations. The researchers seem to think along similar lines to Frankl, that, for humans, meaning is a "primary motivation in his life and not a secondary rationalization of instinctual drives." (Man's Search for Meaning, 99).

From the Times article, it's not clear whether the can conclude definitively that substantive conversations make one happy -- it could be only that frivolous conversations makes one unhappy. An unquantified and vague anecdote with obvious confounding variables (my life) indicates that my unhappiness grew along with my attempts to get better at "networking" in the Ivy League.

(Then again, Data has a good time schmoozing with "Hutch" until aliens start shooting people.)

I don't believe brevity is not equivalent to vacuousness; after all, I am the grandson of a haiku poet. But I've seen precious little to coax me back to Twitter.

No comments: