Thursday, September 6, 2012

Throwing in the towel and trying to believe in God


Couldn't sleep. Tried being angry at certain friends for trying to check me into a mental hospital three months ago (a long story, perhaps worth writing at some point), then tried forgiving. Tried reading and watching comedy. Tried paranoia, and video games, and eating ice cream. The long and short of it is that, at this point, I've decided to throw in the towel. Against the vestiges of what remains of my judgment, and even against part of what remains of my principles, I'm going to try to believe in God. Sorta.

I wish I could say it's because I have faith. I have none. I know enough religious history to see the flaws in basing one's beliefs on a text written two thousand years ago that was definitely a product of its time and place. Probably will have to throw out Leviticus completely, and possibly most of the Old Testament. I'd probably be a Unitarian if I hadn't found the service structure in Ithaca so bizarre.

But I know I've got to believe in something beyond myself. 

No, it's because of exhaustion. Sheer, utter exhaustion about my current life. Mom has worn me down with her mysticism/spiritualism. Besides, too many atheists I know are a bit too self-righteous about their lack of faith.

I think a key difference is that they have a greater sense of control over their own destiny and future than I do. I'm pretty helpless right now; I don't have confidence in my sanity or my ability to do anything non-destructive. Consequently, it doesn't really make a difference to me whether an all-powerful entity is making me experience what in my mind is Job-lite suffering, or if it's a matter of brain chemistry, collapsing wavefunctions, and psychohistory.

Part of it is that I hate the part of myself that placed a barrier between me and a couple of my cousins. Though we have very different views on homosexuality, Biblical literalism, and politics, they've always been there for me in ways others haven't been. They've demonstrated courage and character in their own lives, and been excellent fathers. In case you haven't noticed, father issues are kind of a big deal for me.

I sometimes misinterpreted their kindness as a desire to convert, and not genuine love and affection for their youngest cousin. It's more telling of my own problems trusting people that I took it that way, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Lance and Warren, for judging you less on your relationships with me and more by what you called yourselves.

I don't plan on adpoting that anti-gay nonsense. Believe me, I seriously considered "coming out" to my family just to try and trigger some thought. But it's just not in me (pun intended). Besides, I know some great gay guys who have been tremendous emotional supports. One guy lives in Germany, and yet took the time - on his birthday - to write a lengthy, heartfelt note to me, expressing concern about what I've gone through with my dad and my recent life struggles.

And no bullshit socioeconomics couched in religious determinism. Really, from what little I know of Satanism, it is philosophically similar to Objectivism.

But I am cutting back on the politics. Honestly, I'm no good to anyone while I'm struggling with depression, joblessness, and generalized despair.

I've felt that it's a bit selfish and weak to try belief simply because life is going poorly. But I suppose that's me being judgmental. Things are going poorly enough that maybe I don't have the luxury of waiting for genuine faith.

I also wonder whether I would have reached this point had I a better natural support network - more accurately, if I were better able to reach out and make and keep friends I trusted. Church can seen to be a bit lazier in that regard. But so are filters on OkCupid, or anything other than completely random encounters. I'm presently isolated from all pre-fab communities, and the church is one I'm most familiar with. I don't know if, or when, it will translate into attendance - my own shame is a barrier.

Finally, I know that faith isn't at its best when taken a la carte. Will I be forced to swallow Leviticus as the price for embracing the Parable of the Sower? Can I reconcile the sometimes atheistic existentialist nature of Ecclesiastes with the rest of the Bible? These lack of consistencies, either within the Bible or with my own sense of morality, once led me away from belief, and it may do so again.

But I know, as do most of you, that one of my weaknesses is thinking too much about the wrong things, or without resolution. Analysis without action.

I don't know if this very reluctant plod toward belief will stick, or make a difference. But what the hell. It's possibly this or shoot myself, and while some might prefer the latter, I'm a bit too cowardly to attempt that yet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does it matter whether there is some large entity that exists? This is coming from a life-long agnostic turned atheist turned who-knows-what. I hope that you are getting what you need to help you with the issues you are facing right now, though it seems that there have been some great people who have helped you (or tried to help you) along the way. In the sense that people are reaching out to you IS something above you, and all of us. While I can't buy into any individual entity, I CAN buy into knowing that as long as there are other people out there who are altruistic and who have the capacity to be thoughtful of another person, then there is hope and a little less loneliness in this existence.

This is not to discourage religious leanings -- rituals and values can be very powerful things that give us purpose to the things we do, however arbitrarily set. They connect us to generations past and bring stability into an otherwise pretty chaotic world. I definitely count myself as a ritualistic/traditional rather than religious person.

Ryan Yamada said...

I think that faith, or God, or "something special", is revealed to me only through interactions with people. I feel something when I'm with someone special, or, say, when I read a RFK speech. In that sense, I suppose I could do completely without a "God" - but it's the tradition/device I'm familiar with.

"Getting the help I need"... I know that wasn't your precise wording, but it does seem to be the standard reply to any expression of my depression. Clearly, I haven't been; otherwise, maybe I wouldn't have to engage in a (very desperate) Pascal's Wager.

We're probably quite similar as far as our general philosophical views, though I assume you, dear writer, are a bit more sure-footed on your journey. At least I hope so.

Unknown said...

Your comments about Leviticus and Ecclesiastes reveal what little you understand abou the true Gospel revealed in the Bible. This is not intended to be insulting but rather an invitation the discover the truth. There is absolute truth. Contrary to popular or political opinion, thruth is absolute. If it wasn't... well I guess we'd all be living life aimlessly trying to make for ourselves our own definition of life and happiness and fulfillment....
The parable of the sower you mentioned implies that seed is being planted. In your case I'm afraid Plymouth has not tossed you seed fit to grow, rather some fround up seeds mixed with fertilizer so as not to offend anyone. I say this with some hesitation because I know what they have done to support our parents and grandparents after the war. Their kindness and sacrifice to our families in the past is undeniable and for that I am truly grateful._
The invitation has always been open to you to spend some time with us and begin the dialog with us about life, about our past, and about our imperfect journey.
If its true that God exists, he promises to reveal himself to you in a real and personal way. If its all hogwash, then what the heck, it doesn't matter what you believe, does it?


Ryan Yamada said...

Well, it's perhaps not insulting, but it is a bit condescending, and inhibits future dialogue.

I admit I haven't studied the scripture in as much detail as many faithful. But I have studied it a bit, and come to some conclusions and interpretations, as is my duty and right in the Protestant tradition.

When I meet someone with limited scientific knowledge, I don't attack them for their poor knowledge; I see what they do know that is correct, and see how it can be built. Sometimes, I come away with greater understanding and insight into what I thought I had known. Isn't that one of the key fringe benefits of being a teacher of any sort? Doesn't a willingness to learn and explore new interpretations mark the truth-seeker?

There are pieces of Leviticus that are pretty irrelevant to the modern world. Should we really treat women as unclean for seven days as menstruation? Would they have to avoid going to church during that period? Anything about slavery is out. What about debt forgiveness after a period of years?

I would also challenge and say that an existentialist interpretation of Ecclesiastes is perfectly valid. It is essential to its message - a man is despairing, trying to come to terms with meaning. The later chapters do emphasize the importance of God, but quite frankly, there seems to be a discontinuity halfway through, as if the book itself has two different voices. Had I more interest, it would be interesting to see the development of Ecclesiastes - whether it was a single document, or a construction coming out of the Council of Nicaea.

As far as absolute truth - as a former scientist, I understand the value of theories, laws, and facts of nature. I also appreciate the laws and trends of human nature and philosophy, though I also admit they are less dependable than the laws of physics.

But if ANYONE claims a truth that is both absolute and eternally valid, then I would reasonably accept a very high standard of proof. Although I want the security of absolute truth, and absolute faith, I believe Learned Hand is correct when he says that "The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is right."

I feel confidence is a virtue; certainty comes before many falls.

Maybe this means I'm not cut out for "faith".

Ryan Yamada said...

One more thing: about my home church, Montebello Plymouth Congregational Church.

I don't know what your experiences were at MPCC, but mine have been overwhelmingly positive. I have to defend it, and the people who make it so. I am sorry your experiences were not as positive.

I can reference other posts where I specifically identify the value of church, using my past experiences at MPCC

http://sunburntsky.blogspot.com/2009/06/virtues-of-church.html

http://sunburntsky.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-through-some-thoughts-on-faith.html

These people were a key part of my upbringing and my development as an individual. I do not blame them for my failings as a human being, but take the responsibility myself for not more carefully considering the extent of what I was given.

It is by no means a perfect church. There is politics, and egos, and age plays a role in what the membership is and is not willing to do.

Yet love is about accepting with flaws. I do love the people there. And they love me. Many embody, in every way, the virtues that I regard as Christlike. They are, by and large, the root of my often spirited defense of religion in general, and Christianity in particular, when talking with agnostics or atheists.

The seed that failed to take root is the confidence in myself, and the wisdom that I could transcend my father's mental illness. But the faith in goodness, and humility, and the power of people to transcend limitations, comes directly from that church. What is the best of me started, in one way or another, from the powerful combination of family and faith.

Even my interest in science was encouraged by a Sunday School teacher and a junior pastor.

That I do not attend now has more to do with my shame, and also my selfishness, and not to any failing on their part.