Monday, August 30, 2010

An email from myself, four years ago

I received an unusual email today. It was from me, four years ago. I’d completely forgotten I signed up for, or used, Futureme.org. I had apparently written it on August 29, 2006, just at the end of my first year of graduate school.

Dear FutureMe,

Hi, this is me in grad school. Remember grad school? Yeah

Remember to laugh and love.

Remember how awesome Ann and Ryan and Dave and Suniti are.

Remember to be true to yourself, and to never give up.

You've been given a lot, so make the best of it!

-Ryan



It kind of breaks my heart to read this now, what seems like half a lifetime ago. But the positive message sent here is that I admired and respected my officemates enough to remind myself of their worth. And not just my officemates – though they were obviously the people that first came to mind when I wrote this – Cornell had some special people.

Oh me of little faith – I can never forget their many kindnesses, their jokes, and their humanity. Each of them had a story, a wonderful story that continues today.

I miss them.

This reminds me of an afterschool snack I had with my best friend in high school, Mark, at Jim’s Burgers in Rosemead. I remember being so happy in that moment that I told myself, “Remember this moment. Sear it into your brain. Save this joy in a crystal container, and draw from it in the future when you need it.”

So here’s to good memories, and distant friends.

No comments: