Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Atlantic: "Societal Forces and 'The Daily Show' "

An interesting article from the Atlantic on gender and the Daily Show. It brings up a point or three about women in comedy. But I still have a feeling that I'm pretty (but not completely) sure isn't grounded in sexism that tells me that Olivia Munn's delivery isn't meshing well with what I enjoy about The Daily Show.

In college, I once felt guilty for being annoyed by a Jewish guy in my department. But I eventually came to terms that I disliked him not because he was Jewish, but because he was annoying, insensitive, kind of arrogant, and not a really effective person to work with.

If we can't distinguish that race/gender is one (albeit very important) of many components of identity, then progressivism is doomed. I think it'll be a good day when people can hate on, say, Obama or Pelosi or Sarah Palin without it either being intended as racist/sexist, or being perceived as racist/sexist. But it'll be a long, long time before that happens. And I question whether that should even be the goal. So a question for all of you: how do YOU reconcile the need to acknowledge and correct for institutional and personal discrimination without losing your ability to make reasonable critiques of a person?

No comments: