Saturday, June 15, 2013

Korea Day 2: I'm a bad traveler

Friday, June 14, 2013

Well, hell. I must be one of the biggest fools ever to be born. I checked out of my hotel exactly 6 hours too early. I checked out, realized my mistake, then tried to reverse it. I'd like to blame it on the staff and their poor command of English. But mostly it was sheer embarrassment and apathy that stayed my request. With a palpable sense of my own titanic incompetence, I decided to give up and go to the airport.There were several lines of defense against such a stupid action, but my ignorance has a way of surmounting all barriers.

Here's how it happened. My phone, detached from the Web, was set to Pacific Daylight Time. Before I went to sleep, I did the math and set my alarm for an appropriate wake-up time (6:00am, local time). I did note, upon waking up, that it was odd the alarm hadn't gone off. I think my addled brain thought I had just set it incorrectly, or maybe that the phone itself was being unreliable.

I could have also noticed that it was pitch-dark outside. If, as I believed, it was 6:30am, then I should have noticed some sunlight -- this is, after all, summer. But again, my brain somehow didn't register that contradiction.

Finally, there was a digital clock in the lobby. Surely, I would consult this, just in case. However, my brain, being not only stupid but very lazy, saw the wall of numbers (including room rates), and decided that it wasn't worth sifting through the information to determine the time, even though I had noted its position, and despite the fact that it's obviously the only number with a colon.

Resigned and ashamed, I wait for the last airport shuttle. Whether out of generosity, or curiosity, I decided to tip the driver 10 RMB at the end. He seemed surprised but incredibly grateful, putting on a bright smile and pausing for a moment to watch me shamble to my fate in Terminal 1.

 I'm not the only one camping out. I spy about 10 different people doing just that. Some are, impressively, sprawled across the seats -- even though the armrests are designed to prevent that. Some are on their phones. A couple are walking around, aimlessly. Most are sleeping/slumped in place.

I suppose I should be lucky I got a couple hours sleep on a real bed.

After semi-sleeping for a few hours, 6:00 finally arrives. I get up and stretch my legs. On my way to the bathroom, I see two rows of seats without armrests. Several people are napping on those seats, luxuriating in their relative comfort. Bastards!

Check-in goes smoothly. I go through security and wait at my gate.

As if to cap what I would regard as an uncomfortable layover, three airport janitors stroll into the adjoining bathroom, arguing at the top of their lungs.

They continue to argue for about 30 minutes. I looked around at other waiting passengers, and it's clear that I'm not the only one bemused by this unwelcome addition. Though perhaps an indication of classless-ness, I decided to record a bit of it, to give Chinese-speakers an opportunity to weigh in on what could possibly be worth such Sturm und Drang. I ended up putting in my earplugs, earning a knowing smile from a nearby Middle Eastern traveler.

Will insert this video later, pending availability of bandwidth

Departure go uneventfully. I chat briefly with a young Singaporean two seats from me. (The travel gods finally took some pity, and gave me an empty neighboring seat.) Entering into Wise Old Man mode, I asked him about his life, and offered some advice on pursuing a degree in America. No sleep, but I did get in a few more hours of The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

My first picture, upon arriving into Korea, is of a toilet. I've honestly never seen a urinal with supports; I could speculate on what it means in terms of laws, demographics, and priorities. But maybe I'll just let the photo speak for itself.



Again, I am a walking disaster when it comes to travel. Despite some coordination with Julian, I ended up waiting for him at the wrong bus stop. Internet connectivity was spotty, but I didn't think about either paying a buck for temporary access, or going inside and walking around to improve the coverage, to better facilitate our sporadic Facebook exchanges. Exhibiting perhaps more patience than I would have, he presents me with an odd, but palatable drink (the English translation includes the word "sweat") and a sandwich.

The "limousine" is, naturally, an airport bus. So much for arriving in Gangnam in Gangnam style. But I couldn't care less. I'm finally here, with a couple nonconsecutive hours to my credit in the last 40 hours of travel.

Julian helpfully points out the phallic looking statue on our way out of the airport. Destination: Gangnam-gu, Seoul!




***

Julian helps me check in, and, fortunately, has enough money to cover not only my deposit, but also the balance of rent for the next ten days. (I hadn't taken out or changed any dollars for Korean won.)

Although Julian warned me about the room, I was a bit surprised when I walked in. It is the smallest room I have ever stayed in. It seems even smaller than its dimensions because of the presence of a shower/bathroom in the corner. I have two large pieces of luggage, and combined they eliminate half of the available floorspace.

This is my home for ten days.





Still, all I needed or wanted was a bed for the next ten days. It does have a mini-fridge, a TV, and (apparently not standard) a blanket. I will have to go buy a pillow at some point, as well as a towel and shampoo.

One of the perks is free ramen and kim chee in the communal kitchen.

But there is no rest for the weary. I take a quick shower, and join Julian in retracing our steps to go to the academy office.

I remember a blur of faces and names. I do my best not to collapse, and have the presence of mind to take the box of chocolates I had packed specifically for office introductions. Contrary to my expectations of what, in Japan, is called enryo, the two-pound box is gone within ten minutes. The dae pyo nim, or top boss, seems genial, but speaks to me, oddly enough, mostly in Japanese. I mostly smile and nod, and wonder how I'm going to manage the next few weeks.

Finally, we leave, get some food, pick up a couple essentials (water and toilet paper) and after a bit of conversation, I shower and collapse.

No comments: