Sunday, August 23, 2009

Yamada Nagamasa

On a narcissistic impulse, I decided to do a search for famous Yamadas. There appears to be a modest mix of names, especially given that it's the 13th most common surname in Japan. I found a retainer for the Shimazu clan, a comedian/governor of Osaka prefecture later disgraced by a sexual harassment conviction, some pop stars and models, and one general from Imperial Japan.

Yamada Nagamasa caught my eye because he was listed as an "adventurer; ruler of a province of Thailand".





It appears that Yamada was one of many Japanese exiles that found themselves in Thailand after losing key battles to Toyotomi and Tokugawa forces during Sengoku Jidai. Many of them were also exiled Christians, fleeing Japan in the wake of massive crackdowns on Christians and missionaries.

It appears Yamada made his fortune by being a pirate, preying on Dutch East India Company (VOC) ships around Java. The Japanese colony was also noted for its military expertise. He received his governorship and noble status by successfully leading a Japanese force of volunteers on behalf of the Thai King Songtham.

He was ultimately killed in 1630 during the battles of succession following Songtham's death. It's reported he was wounded, then poisoned. The new ruler, Prasat Thong, destroyed the Japanese settlement in the Thai capital, causing many to flee into Cambodia. Following this, Siam lost its trade rights with Japan, with the latter closing itself off from most outside contact. The VOC expanded into the power vacuum and profited handsomely, and that, as they say, is history.

Am I related? He spent three years in Japan, probably mostly in the Kyushu area, since that's where outside traders were permitted. My family is said to be from Southern Japan. A stretch, but not impossible, that I might be the descendant of an illegitimate child.

I've linked this note to my Thai friends. I always wondered how we got along so well - I attributed it to the spectacular charm and hospitality of the Thai people in general, and my friends in particular. But maybe I'm more Thai than I knew...

No comments: