Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Few Good Bailouts

http://www.inpaulsonwetrust.com/2008/11/cummings-asks-is-kashkari-a-chump/

Wow. Comment 12 is possibly one of the funniest things to come out of the collapse of the financial system. It might just be worth the crisis.

Reproduced from inpaulsonwetrust.com:

A FEW GOOD BAILOUTS

Mr. Kashkari: You want answers?

Congressman Cummings: I think I’m entitled to them.

Mr.Kashkari: You want answers?

Congressman Cummings: I want the truth!

Mr. Kashkari: You can’t handle the truth! Son, we live in a world of bad business decisions. And the executives making those bad decisions have to be paid. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Rep. Kucinich? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.

You weep for tax payers and you curse the Treasury. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the taxpayer’s loss, while tragic, probably saved jobs. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves cushy jobs…You don’t want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me in that Treasury. You need me in that Treasury.
We use words like credit,securities;capital. we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use ‘em as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very debt I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I’d rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a checkbook and start signing. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you’re entitled to!

Congressman Cummings: Are you a chump?

Mr. Kashkari: (quietly) I did the job congress ask me to do.

Congressman Cummings: Are you a chump?

Mr. Kashkari: You’re damn right I am!!

No comments: